Monday, September 17, 2007

MUSE

Donnice bought tickets to Muse for our anniversary. She's not crazy about rock concerts, but I've been talking about Muse being the best concert experience of my life ever since I saw them in October, and she wanted us to be able to share it with me this time. The concert was last night, and it was amazing.

I tried to appreciate the first band that played. I told myself that the members of Muse must have some respect for them if they were letting them open. I tried to imagine how I would be experiencing the concert if I knew and liked all the songs and was finally getting to see them for the first time. I couldn't do it. The lead singer was old and ugly and trying way too hard to be a rock star.

The second band was awesome. It was a group called Juliette and the Licks. Some of you may know where this is going (my coworker, Angela, seemed surprised that I hadn't heard of them), but I had no idea what to expect. At first I thought it was just another nobody trying way to hard to act like a rock star. But towards the end of the first song, I realized that she looked very familiar. Just as I was starting to connect her face with the name Juliette, Donnice looked over and said "it looks like the actress who played the retarded girl." It was Juliette Lewis! As soon as I realized that it was not a nobody trying to act cool, but a celebrity who was acting that was because she's truly crazy, I really enjoyed it. I don't think my words can possibly do justice to the energy and insanity of her performance. She owned the stage and every member of her band. At one point, she was flopping around on the floor like Linda Blair in the Exorcist. At another, she donned a hat with cat ears and eyes to sing about being like a cat. She sang a song about her needs when she's out on the road, and somehow communicated the word "horny" while speaking the work "lonely." She covered "Hot Stuff," and came off the stage to be touched by the crowd. Although, I'm not sure I'd buy her cd, her performance was great. Donnice and I just kept looking at each other with open mouths as she got more and more outrageous. Don't go out and buy her cd, but don't miss a chance to see her live. It's unforgettable.

Muse, of course, was amazing too. When I saw them in October, they closed with "Knights of Cydonia," and it was the best song of the show. This time they opened with it, and it was just as good as I remembered. I love the theme of revolution that runs through so many of their songs (especially on the newest album). I wonder how many people at the show even notice that and how many just like the amazing guitar. As much as I love seeing them live, I'm ready for them to go back to the studio. I want another album.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home