Tuesday, July 03, 2007

amazon.com customer service

I think that blogs are often just a lot of complaining, so instead of bitching about someone who was rude to me or some horrible injustice I experienced, I'm going to write about a really great service experience I had recently.

I decided that I wanted to get to know the Beatles. I've never really listened to them much, and they're supposed to be one of the greatest bands in history, so I wanted to listen to some of their music. I asked two crazily-obsessed Beatles fans which albums to start with, and after a bit of back and forth between them, I went with Rubber Soul and Revolver.

Last Tuesday, I bought them on amazon.com. Rubber Soul was $11.99, and Revolver was $13.97. Last night (Monday), I went back to amazon and noticed that Revolver had been marked down to $9.97. In addition to that, they were offering $2 off if you bought it with Rubber Soul, which I had. So, it was less than a week after my purchase, and my exact order was $6 cheaper. I understand some price fluctuation in new items, but these were 17 year old cds of 40 year old albums.

So, at about 9:30, I wrote amazon an email explaining what had happened and asking if there was an easier resolution than sending back the cds and reordering them at the discounted price. At 10:23 I had a response from amazon. I opened it up assuming that it was a generic "thanks for contacting us" email, but it was a personalized response. Not only did they respond in less than an hour, they were refunding my $6. Wow!

"Thank you for writing to Amazon.com.

"I apologize for any inconvenience this situation might have caused.

"The discounts we offer for items on our web site do vary from time
to time. I've checked your order, and found that we now offer a
greater discount on Revolver than at the time you placed your order.

"I have requested a refund of $6.00"


Oh, and the cds are great, especially Revolver. If, like me, you've been living in a hole and haven't heard any Beatles songs that aren't on their 1 album, take advantage of the discount on amazon and get these albums.

1 Comments:

At 11:10 PM, Blogger bcdees47 said...

I wish I could say the same of my experience/nightmare with the fine folks at Polaroid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home